Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday, July 20 -- Colin had a day of sightseeing in Tokyo. They visited Tsurugaoka-Hachimangu Shrine and old street of Komachi then took a 2-car train to Hase Temple. Then to Enoshima Island to enjoy the beach. After the beach, they took the Enoshima Monorail train to Yokohama Harbor area to the Minato Mirai Area and the highest building in Japan.

Tonight Pete and I decided to go to a Japanese restaurant tonight to experience a bit of Colin's travels on a more experiential level. We haven't decided where to go, but are thinking about Sakura. Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of famous Japanese restaurants in Tucson, 60 miles from the Mexican border . . . or at least, we're out of the loop on them. The kids will be staying home and eating spaghetti with grandma and grandpa. There is no need to throw that money out the window. I hope to try some version of Okonomiyaki, and I might try sushi for the first time. I know, I'm probably the last person I know who hasn't tried it (well, except Pete, who is as sheltered and steadfastly uncool as I am), but I'm a little more motivated now. It takes a lot more than "urban coolness" to motivate us to try raw fish. I'm pretty sure seafood is meant to be cooked--with drawn butter. We'll have to eat something wrapped in seaweed too, since Colin has. The only thing I've ever had wrapped in seaweed is my foot -- at the lake. Stay tuned as we try fermented and rotted Korean fare next week. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment